About Seafood Industry Australia (SIA)
Seafood Industry Australia (SIA) is the national peak body which represents the Australian seafood industry as a whole, including members from wild catch, aquaculture and post-harvest sectors.
As the voice of Australian seafood, SIA provides consumers, Government and other stakeholders with confident and united representation. Our unity indicates that we all love what we do, we stand by our products and that those products are the best in the world.
SIA provides services identified through a process involving member input to fill a critical gap that currently exists, to have more influence on Government decisions, to act as a national industry voice, to be a marketing and communications hub, and to remove obstacles to growth standing in the way of the Australian seafood industry.
Our vision is for the Australian seafood industry to be United, Effective and Respected. Our mission is to Promote, Protect and Develop the Australian seafood industry on the national and international level.
In mid-2015, the National Seafood Industry Alliance received funding from the Australian Government for a project to develop a national peak representative body for the seafood industry. The project has involved a structured and intensive process led by industry. It has included.
In mid-2015, the National Seafood Industry Alliance received funding from the Australian Government for a project to develop a national peak representative body for the seafood industry. The project has involved a structured and intensive process led by industry.
It has included:
- desktop research, connecting with many industry people and organisations (through a web presence, regional visits and communications/ engagement strategy) and targeted industry consultations;
- a national Industry Forum held in Adelaide in March 2016, which was attended by Australian business leaders and opened by the Assistant Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Senator the Hon Anne Ruston. Here, industry leaders committed to the development of a national peak body;
- a Leadership Taskforce (Taskforce) was formed at the Industry Forum, including nine seafood business leaders. The purpose of the Taskforce was to consider options and develop the recommended structural and funding models for consideration at a second Industry Forum in July 2016. It met six times between 11 April and 30 June 2016, with members actively involved between meetings in subcommittees to develop ideas and options;
- an industry Forum from 13 to 14 July 2016, where industry leaders considered the Taskforce report and agreed on the proposed vision, mission, structure and funding model;
- the Second Industry Forum agreed to form and task an Implementation Group led by Veronica Papacosta to engage and consult with the wider industry between August and December 2016;
- the Implementation Group worked towards a target of $500,000 as a minimum pledged membership threshold to indicate broad industry support. The target was achieved and exceeded by the target deadline of 15 December 2016;
- a Board Selection Committee, consisting of two original Taskforce members and the project manager Brian Ramsay, was formed to consider the protem directors nominations submitted from pledged members. The Inaugural board of SIA was then selected through this process; and
SIA was incorporated on 12 May 2017 and formally launched on 9 June in Adelaide.