Seafood Industry Australia (SIA) is the national peak-body representing the whole of Australia’s seafood industry with members from the wild catch, aquaculture and post-harvest sectors.
As the voice of Australian seafood, SIA provides consumers, Government and other stakeholders with confident and united representation on matters of importance to the industry. Our unity indicates a love for what we do, that we stand by our products and that our products are the best in the world.
About the role
SIA is seeking a highly motivated media and communications professional to join our team for a 12-month, part-time, maternity leave contract. At SIA we realise the right candidate is not always located on our doorstep and as such, employees work from their established home-office.
This role reports directly to the CEO and leads the communication and media strategy for the association. In this position you are responsible for liaison with media, members, stakeholders, government policy makers and engaging the wider public on matters of importance to the commercial fishing industry and related sectors. It is a diverse role that requires strong traditional media experience, the proven capacity to engage through social media and solid experience in stakeholder management, political advocacy, public relations and events.
If you are a self-starter with tenacity, strong experience in journalism, media relations, political advocacy and are a natural at building relationships, we would love to hear from you!
You know media can be 24/7, but that’s one of the things that excites you about working for a dynamic, lean industry association.
Knowledge of, or a background in the commercial fishing industry or agriculture is desired, however is not essential.
To be successful in this position applicants must possess the following attributes:
- Relevant Tertiary qualification(s) and/or experience in journalism, communications, public relations, or equivalent;
- Minimum of five years experience in a related position;
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, with a high-level of attention to detail;
- Experience in developing, writing and editing high-quality content for web and print-based publishing processes, including media releases, marketing and corporate documents and in-house publications;
- Demonstrated ability in planning and implementing successful consumer, traditional media and social media campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience in using and developing content for social media platforms and websites to communicate stories, engage audiences and raise the profile of an association/business/organisation;
- Proven skills and capacity to effectively manage:
- Traditional media relations;
- Online communications and social media communities;
- Public-profile raising activities; and
- Traditional media and social media reporting.
- High-level computer literacy skills, proficient in WordPress and MailChimp, great with the Microsoft Office suite;
- Excellent relationship building and networking skills, and the ability to proactively engage and respond quickly and effectively to media, stakeholder and political needs;
- Ability to work well under pressure, to prioritise and self-manage competing timelines, and the ability to take and show initiative where necessary;
- Be self-motivated and results-oriented in order to meet and exceed targets;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small team environment;
- Enthusiasm and the confidence to propose and deliver new initiatives;
- A warm and engaging style.
Preferred but non-essential requirements include:
- Experience in political advocacy;
- Experience in photography, video recording, sound recording, streaming and editing;
- Experience with Canva and Buffer.
Is this the opportunity you have been waiting for? If so, apply today as we will be appointing the ideal applicant as soon as possible.
SIA values the awareness, acknowledgement and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and their culture within our organisation. We welcome applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage, and people with disabilities.
Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
To apply for this position please email a copy of your CV and cover letter, highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.