The winners of the 2021 Great Australian Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafood Industry Australia (SIA), have been announced, with the country’s best fish & chippers in each state and territory crowned.
“In every town, across every state and territory, people spruik their fish & chips as number one. So, we’ve listened to the people, and crowned the best fish & chip shops around the country,” SIA CEO Veronica Papacosta said.
“After close to 300,000 votes from the public, the most in the award’s history, the winners of the Great Australian Fish & Chip Awards 2021 MasterFoods™ People’s Choice Awards are:
- Queensland – Costa’s Seafood Cafe, Capalaba
- Queenslanders cast the most votes out of any state/territory, which meant this top store reeled in the most votes in the entire competition!
- New South Wales – Something Seafood, Callala Bay
- Victoria – Trident Fish Bar, Queenscliff
- Tasmania – Fraggles, Invermay
- South Australia – Fish out of water, Hyde Park
- Western Australia – Pinjarra Fish & Chips, Pinjarra
- Northern Territory – Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery, Stuart Park
- Australian Capital Territory – The Fish Shack, Civic
- This is the ACT’s first appearance in the Great Australian Fish & Chip Awards, and The Fish Shack narrowly edged out the competition by 10 votes to claim the top spot.
“After a hard 18 months for Australia’s foodservice industry and our commercial fishers, we encourage everyone to take a night or two off from the kitchen, get together with your friends and family, and support your local takeaway store and your fishers, while you enjoy some Great Australian Fish & Chips.
“The Great Australian Fish & Chip Awards showcase the very best fish & chip businesses around the country, while they celebrate our great Australian seafood, and the fishers who produce all of our favourite seafoods.
“The awards also highlight the importance of buying fresh, local, Australian seafood. It’s important to always ask for Aussie seafood; even why you’re buying fish & chips. Australian seafood is one of the most sustainable protein sources in the world and our fisheries management is world-class. However, close to 70 per cent of seafood eaten in Australia is imported so it’s important you chat to your server about where your seafood is from.
“Buying Australian seafood supports Australian fishing families and regional communities they operate in. And, the good news is, it’s easy as to support them. You do it just by eating some Great Australian Fish & Chips.”
For more information visit: www.fishandchipawards.com.au
Thank you to our sponsors: Gold: MasterFoods™.
Silver: Cookers and FRDC.
Bronze: KB Food Co, Seafood Industry Australia and Great Australian Seafood.
The 2020-110: Fish and Chips Awards 2021 is supported by funding from the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation on behalf of the Australian Government
Great Australian Fish and Chip Awards 2019 winners
State and Territory People’s Choice Award Winners
- NSW – Pelican Rocks Seafood Restaurant and Café
- NT – Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery
- QLD – Costa’s Seafood Cafe
- SA – Dolphin Fish Shop and Take Away
- TAS – Fraggles Fish and Chips
- VIC – Trident Fish Bar
- WA – Pinjarra Fish and Chips
Click here to find a Great Australian Fish and Chip shop near you.